Tuesday, March 16, 2010

U and Me= Unity


As per usual, the inspiration for today is not related directly (or even obviously) to my design... but in a way that must be explained or just pieced together using ones own intuition. This week- I found a quote that was so inspiring... From Ghandi...

“If we believe in God, not merely with our intellect but with our whole being, we will love all mankind without any distinction of race or class, nation or religion. We will work for the unity of mankind. I have known no distinction between relatives and strangers, countrymen and foreigners, white and coloured, Hindus and Indians of other faiths whether Mussulmans, Parsees, Christians or Jews. I may say that my heart has been incapable of making any such distinctions. All men are brothers and no human being should be a stranger to another. The welfare of all, sarvodaya, should be our aim. God is the common bond that unites all human beings. To break this bond even with our greatest enemy is to tear God himself to pieces. There is humanity even in the most wicked.” (Gandhi)

The quote pertains to one of my larger theories which unites with the many others to create my concept of Boxcar LOCO. The idea of polyculturalism is one that fascinates me, and though hard to achieve- the hope that the union of cultures will occur keeps me dreaming. Coming from Africa (to those of you who don't know me well, I have an accent- a canadian one, but alas i was born in Uganda, Africa- so African is what I claim) the division of the countries seems the only hindrance in the creation of one super nation- so this quote, I think, is the key to finding a step forward in Africa, the world but also in my land of legend: Boxcar LOCO... A land where the cultures which overlap in Africa and Port Elizabeth are celebrated for their differences and complimented with one another... A land where all become united....

No comments:

Post a Comment